Position title: Senior Communications Officer
The Canadian Association for Community Living (CACL) is the national movement supporting the voice of people with intellectual disabilities and their families for inclusion. CACL leads the way in helping Canadians build an inclusive Canada by strengthening families, defending rights, and transforming communities into places where everyone can belong. Founded in 1958, CACL is a national federation of over 40,000 individual members, 400 local associations, and 13 Provincial/Territorial Associations for Community Living.
CACL is currently recruiting a Senior Communications Officer. This is an excellent opportunity to work for a national organizational leading a social change movement, using stories to change lives and defend rights. Reporting to the Director of Policy and Program Operations, the Senior Communications Officer will develop and implement social, digital and emerging media campaigns in support of CACL’s strategic initiatives and overall communications goals.
- In collaboration with CACL’s communications consultants and senior management, implement CACL’s communications strategy and social media strategy, including monitoring all contact points and reporting on measurable outputs
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with key media and communications partners and continuously monitor, measure, and improve the effectiveness of communication initiatives.
- Develop media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media and create content for press releases, byline articles and keynote presentations.
- Create and coordinate an editorial calendar for CACL that includes distribution of a consistent stream of online and offline communications pieces, including CACL’s annual report card, quarterly e-Newsletter, email blasts, donor stewardship materials, and social media channels
- Work with CACL staff to create written content for a variety of external communications channels
- Develop and update content on CACL websites; provide project management for revisions and upgrades to existing web site
- Develop and coordinate a digital asset library for use across all platforms, including photography and video, to ensure all media is catalogued in a central database
- Provide project support for production of communications materials, including managing relationships with printers, designers and other relevant suppliers, as well as the English-French translation process
- Monitor public dialogue and current issues relevant to the organization and its strategic priorities
- Provide graphic design support where necessary for publications and promotional materials
- Regularly analyze trends and opportunities related to increased outreach and fundraising opportunities, and recommend improvements
- Develop, plan and implement media outreach for CACL events
- Lead as a change agent for progress and innovative technologies
Qualifications and Experience:
An organized self-starter with demonstrated experience and education in the following areas:
- Post-secondary education in a discipline relevant to communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, or a related field; minimum 3 years professional experience providing communications support in a nonprofit environment; or some combination thereof
- Demonstrated skills and experience in implementing communications strategies that support the achievement of organizational goals
- Strong writing and editing skills; demonstrated ability to develop accurate, engaging, stylistically sound content consistent with the organization’s brand
- Experience researching and writing a variety of materials, including e-mail blasts, newsletter articles, website content and social media content
- Strong computer skills with particular proficiency in MS Office programs, WordPress, and desktop publishing programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Publisher
- Superior writing skills with the ability to translate complex issues into a level appropriate for the general population and policymakers
- Demonstrated experience using social media platforms and tools to build brand awareness
- Experience analyzing and reporting on communications data, evaluating impact, and suggesting ways to adjust course to improve results
- Attention to detail, strong follow-through, and the ability to remain organized and responsive to multiple priorities and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills including a professional manner and good judgment
- Extensive knowledge of NGOs and particularly the disability sector an asset
- Bilingualism a strong asset
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume no later than 12:00 pm EST, January 18th 2019 to:
Canadian Association for Community Living
Attention: Tara Levandier, Director of Policy and Program Operations
By email: email@example.com
Please click here for a PDF version of this job posting.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. The Canadian Association for Community Living will provide accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities.
CACL supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.